Hi everyone! I’m Ines, a member of Fast and Female’s Youth Advisory Council (YAC). I’ve…
Call for Nominations to the Board of Directors – 2023
Fast and Female is excited to announce that the Call for Nominations to the Board of Directors is now open!
Fast and Female is a nationwide charity on a mission to empower girls through sport and physical activity! Using our evidence-based curriculum, developed by industry leaders, we aim to build the confidence and leadership skills of girls ages 8-18 through our events and programs. We believe in the power of REAL (relatable, empowered, active leaders) Role Models and aim to create girl-centered, girl-focused opportunities for our participants to connect with incredible women Role Models that are passionate about sport and physical activity. With a new Executive Director, a focused and highly energized team, and strategic planning underway, Fast and Female is poised for further success and impact!
Why Do We Exist?
For the girls! In comparison to boys, girls are less likely to get involved and stay involved in sports. By age sixteen 1 out of 3 girls who played sports drop out, versus 1 out of 10 boys the same age (Canadian Women and Sport Rally Report 2020). The top 3 ways to reverse these trends are:
Engaging the girls to identify how to create a sense of social belonging, prioritizing their mental and physical health, and providing relatable role models from within their own communities.
How Do We Strive to Accomplish This?
In our endeavor to foster lasting involvement in sports, we host national and local events and programs in collaboration with community partners and like-minded individuals. Fast and Female provides opportunities for powerful connection with REAL (Relatable, Empowered, Active Leaders) Role Models from within the girls’ communities
The Board of Directors of Fast and Female are representatives responsible for providing strategic leadership, governance, establishing policy, and overseeing operations and financial performance of Fast and Female. Our Board Members will serve on several committees including, but not limited to:
- Fund Development
- Equity, Inclusion, Diversity, Accessibility
The Board is expected to represent the best interests of the participants, parents, coaches, mentors, allies, and the organization.
The current Fast and Female board consists of:
- Sophia Dhrolia, Chair
- Victoria Stephenson, Treasurer
- Melissa Smith, Past Chair
- Dal Bhathal
- Cayley Hartney
The Nominations Committee is seeking candidates for Director-at-large positions with experience in one or more of the following areas of focus:
- Finance, Accounting and Treasurer
- Legal/Charity/Not-for-Profit Governance
- Board Secretarial
- Strategic Planning implementation
- Fund Development – Strategic and/or innovative leadership Revenue generation linked to organizational sustainability in the areas of philanthropy, grant-writing, federal government relations pertaining to fund development or corporate partnerships
- Professional/high-performance Sports
- Mentorship, training, coaching, skills development
Candidates will also be reviewed for potential committee participation.
- Bilingual (French – English)
- Geographical representation across Canada
- Experience in leading a charity or not-for profit to a significant budget and reach growth
- Advocate for and/or have experience in social change/activism and believe it what Fast and Female aims to accomplish for the girls
- Exhibit strong leadership qualities, a growth mindset, and a passion for empowering girls through sport and physical activity
- We are committed to selecting a committee of members who, in addition to possessing the desirable experience, values and skill sets, comprises meaningful and intersectional representation from racialized and marginalized communities, including, but not limited to:
- Indigenous peoples (First Nations – includes Status, Treaty or Non-Status, Métis and Inuit)
- Visible minorities (includes people (other than Indigenous) who are non-white regardless of place of birth)
- Individuals with a disability
- LGBTQI2S+ individuals
- Individuals who are not women are encouraged to apply
- Board terms are for a minimum of two years with a maximum of three consecutive terms.
- Meetings are held monthly on zoom typically at 6 pm Mountain, 8 pm Eastern time.
- A commitment of 10 hours per month
- Participation on the Board is voluntary, and there is no remuneration for service.
Board member responsibilities include:
- Providing accountability and support to the ED and staff as they implement the strategic and operational plans;
- Chair of or participation in committees, such as nominating, governance, fund development, and finance;
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings;
- Approving annual budget and audit reports;
- Contributing to the ED annual performance evaluation;
- Representing Fast and Female to stakeholders and acting as an ambassador of the organization;
- Standard fiduciary responsibilities and duty of care for Canadian charities;
- Completing all required trainings estimated at <5-10 hours per year by the agreed-upon deadline
Individuals of any gender who are 18 years of age or older, have the power under law to contract, who are not an employee or paid contractor of Fast and Female, and have an interest/passion for creating participation and leadership opportunities for girls and women in sport and physical activity may be nominated.
- July 12, 2023: Open Call for Candidates
- August 31, 2023 Deadline for Expressions of Interest
- September, 2023: Confirmed nominations provided to the Fast and Female Membership + voting by the Membership
- October, 2023: Newly elected Directors introduced and welcomed at the monthly board meeting (scheduled for October 24, 6:00 pm MT/8:00 pm ET)
If you meet these requirements, offer our desired key competencies, and are interested in contributing your expertise to our dynamic and growing organization, please submit your statement of interest and resume below and complete the following form. The posting will close on August 31, 2023. If you require any additional supports or accommodations to be able to submit your nomination, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL US AT INFO@FASTANDFEMALE.COM