Hi everyone! I’m Ines, a member of Fast and Female’s Youth Advisory Council (YAC). I’ve…
Fast and Female’s first-ever Youth Advisory Council!
Fast and Female is excited to announce the creation of our first-ever Youth Advisory Council (YAC), supported through funding from the Doc Seaman Amateur Sports Grant! Our YAC will engage 15-20 self-identified girls, ages 15-17 (born between 2004-2006), from across Canada. The YAC will guide and support Fast and Female programs and events in 2021 and beyond; for the girls, by the girls. Fast and Female is looking to recruit a minimum of 1 representative from each province and territory in Canada. This is a volunteer position for a 1-year term, with the possibility of renewal.
WHAT WE’RE ASKING FOR:
- Approximately 3-4 hours per month, comprised of:
- 1 Youth Council Meeting/month (over Zoom)
- 1 Youth Council Social/month (over Zoom)
- Program and Event support, as needed
- Share your experiences and ideas to help Fast and Female reach more girls
- Embody Fast and Female’s values of inclusion, social change, fun and empowerment. Be you, Be Real!
- Learn more by viewing the full YAC Volunteer Position Description here.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU:
- Volunteer hours
- Leadership development opportunities
- Practical experience for job and school applications
- Access to exciting events and opportunities
- Share your voice on Fast and Female programming and operations
- Help build awesome programs for girls, by girls
- Fast and Female swag
- Upon successful completion of your term as a youth council member, a professional letter of recommendation.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Fill out the online application by clicking here – the deadline to apply is July 25th, 11:59 pm AST.
- As part of our process, we will be asking applicants to record and share the link to a 1-3 minute video (here’s a how-to doc), shot on your phone or computer, with the following information:
- A quick intro of who you are, how old you are & where you are from
- Why you want to be part of Fast and Female’s first-ever Youth Advisory Council
- Tell us about a time that you….(choose one of the following options)
- Spoke up or Stood up for someone
- Reached a goal
- Overcame a challenge
- Were proud of yourself
Self-identified girls, aged 15-17 (born between 2004-2006) that live in Canada, and are passionate about girls and women in sport and physical activity are encouraged to apply! Learn more by viewing the full YAC Volunteer Position Description here.
- June 10, 2021: YAC applications open
- July 25, 2021: Deadline for Expressions of Interest
- July 26 – August 6 2021: Successful applicants to be notified
- August, 2021: First YAC meeting
Who is Fast and Female?
Fast and Female is a Canadian charity on a mission to keep self-identified girls aged 8-14 healthy and active in sports and physical activities. Founded in 2005 by Olympic gold medalist Chandra Crawford, Fast and Female believes in the power of positive sport experiences and role models to give girls leadership, teamwork and resiliency skills.
Why Do We Exist?
For the girls!
In comparison to boys, girls are less likely to get involved and stay involved in sports. By age sixteen 1 out of 3 girls who played sports drop out, versus 1 out of 10 boys the same age (Canadian Women and Sport Rally Report 2020). The top 3 ways to reverse these trends are:
Engaging the girls to identify how to create a sense of social belonging, prioritizing their mental and physical health, and providing relatable role models from within their own communities.
With these calls to action, Fast and Female strives to provide a safe space to explore new sports and physical activities.
How Do We Strive to Accomplish This?
In our endeavour to foster lasting involvement in sports, we host national and local events and programs in collaboration with community partners and like-minded individuals. Fast and Female provides opportunities for powerful connection with REAL (Relatable, Empowered, Active Leaders) Role Models from within the girls’ communities.
The deadline to apply is July 25th, 11:59 pm AST. We encourage youth born between 2004-2006 to apply today! If there are any questions or concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR THE 2021/2022 YOUTH ADVISORY COUNCIL IS NOW CLOSED.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT US AT YOUTHCOUNCIL@FASTANDFEMALE.COM