Fast and Female has always had Role Models at the center of our programming to…
Youth Advisory Council Introductions and Additional Recruitment
Introducing Fast and Female’s first-ever Youth Advisory Council!
Fast and Female is excited to introduce our community to our first-ever Youth Advisory Council (YAC), supported through funding from the Doc Seaman Amateur Sports Grant! Our YAC is currently comprised of 15 youth members from across the country:
- Breagh Bridge, BC
- Brooke Ailey, ON
- Claire Malhiot, AB
- Emma Andrews, NB
- Haley Angus, NS
- Ines Ciccateri, BC
- Issy Langford, SK
- Jett Jardeleza-Toole, ON
- Kate Sturgess, AB
- Kate Fletcher, ON
- Katie Bentley, BC
- Kendra Osa, ON
- Sabine Comeau, AB
- Tess Beasant, AB
- Toryn Bosanko, AB
Learn more about our YAC members by visiting our Youth Advisory Council page here.
Fast and Female is looking to recruit additional YAC members from 7 provinces and territories to join our YAC team for 2022! The YAC will guide and support Fast and Female programs and events in 2022 and beyond; for the girls, by the girls. This is a volunteer position for a 1-year term, with the possibility of renewal. This opportunity is open for self-identified girls, ages 15-17 (born between 2004-2006). Fast and Female is looking to recruit a minimum of 1 representative from each of the following provinces and territories in Canada:
- The Northwest Territories
- Newfoundland & Labrador
WHAT WE’RE ASKING FOR:
- Approximately 3-4 hours per month, comprised of:
- 1 Youth Council Meeting/month (over Zoom)
- 1 Youth Council Social/month (over Zoom)
- Program and Event support, as needed
- Share your experiences and ideas to help Fast and Female reach more girls
- Embody Fast and Female’s values of inclusion, social change, fun and empowerment. Be you, Be Real!
- Learn more by viewing the full YAC Volunteer Position Description here.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU:
- Volunteer hours
- Leadership development opportunities
- Practical experience for job and school applications
- Access to exciting events and opportunities
- Share your voice on Fast and Female programming and operations
- Help build awesome programs for girls, by girls
- Fast and Female swag
- Upon successful completion of your term as a youth council member, a professional letter of recommendation.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Fill out the online application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis when and if positions are available.
- As part of our process, we will be asking applicants to record and share the link to a 1-3 minute video (here’s a how-to doc), shot on your phone or computer, with the following information:
- A quick intro of who you are, how old you are & where you are from
- Why you want to be part of Fast and Female’s first-ever Youth Advisory Council
- Tell us about a time that you….(choose one of the following options)
- Spoke up or Stood up for someone
- Reached a goal
- Overcame a challenge
- Were proud of yourself
Self-identified girls, aged 15-17 (born between 2004-2006) that live in Canada, and are passionate about girls and women in sport and physical activity are encouraged to apply! Learn more by viewing the full YAC Volunteer Position Description here.
Fast and Female is a Canadian charity on a mission to keep self-identified girls aged 8-14 healthy and active in sports and physical activities. Founded in 2005 by Olympic gold medalist Chandra Crawford, Fast and Female believes in the power of positive sport experiences and role models to give girls leadership, teamwork and resiliency skills.
Why Do We Exist?
For the girls!
In comparison to boys, girls are less likely to get involved and stay involved in sports. By age sixteen 1 out of 3 girls who played sports drop out, versus 1 out of 10 boys the same age (Canadian Women and Sport Rally Report 2020). The top 3 ways to reverse these trends are:
Engaging the girls to identify how to create a sense of social belonging, prioritizing their mental and physical health, and providing relatable role models from within their own communities.
With these calls to action, Fast and Female strives to provide a safe space to explore new sports and physical activities.
How Do We Strive to Accomplish This?
In our endeavour to foster lasting involvement in sports, we host national and local events and programs in collaboration with community partners and like-minded individuals. Fast and Female provides opportunities for powerful connection with REAL (Relatable, Empowered, Active Leaders) Role Models from within the girls’ communities.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, if and when there are positions available. We encourage youth born between 2004-2006 to apply today! If there are any questions or concerns, please email us at email@example.com